When I was a kid, my Mom would make killer tuna salad, chicken salad, and egg salad. All three had a refreshing celery-crunch, tangy creaminess, and a salty kick at the end.
We would mostly enjoy it on warm crispy toast. Occasionally we’d eat it on crackers and sometimes just plain out-of-the-bowl with a fork. Introducing healthy, chickpea salad!
Since re-created this type of salad without the use of tuna, chicken, or eggs, I have fallen in love with them even more than those others! Just like in other plant-based cooking I’ve done, I’ve realized that it’s more about the flavors than it ever was about the actual chicken or tuna.
The taste is in the herbs and the tangy ingredients. Sometimes I think my favorite part is the texture! This recipe uses the glorious chickpea which is packed with a nice dose of fiber and protein.
This easy recipe for Chickpea Salad has quickly become one of my favorite go-to’s for lunch. It’s easy, fast, and lasts for a couple of meals! Sandwich one day, on top of salad greens the next.
If you’re like me and love creamy lunch salads with crunchy celery, definitely give this plant-based chickpea salad a try!
Here’s what you’ll need for the Chickpea Salad:
Green onions (Red onion or white onion will work too)
What to do:
First, rinse the chickpeas under cold water and add to a mixing bowl. Mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher.
Leave some of the chickpeas unmashed as it provides some chunkiness to the salad.
Next, chop the celery and green onions and add them to the bowl. Add all remaining ingredients to the salad and mix it up well.
This post is all about creating a yummy chickpea salad for lunch.
Ways to enjoy it:
- On crunchy toast in a sandwich – pile it high!
- On a bed of fresh mixed greens
- With crackers as a dip
For some healthy, delicious smoothie recipes, go here: Healthy smoothie recipes
If you make this recipe, please let me know or tag @itsazestylife on Instagram!
Easy Chickpea Salad
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 tsp dill relish
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp of each sea salt and pepper
- 1 lemon squeeze
- Rinse and strain chickpeas and then add them to a mixing bowl. Mash them up with a potato masher or with a fork until about 80% are mashed. If you desire a less chunky consistency, keep mashing!
- Dice celery and onions into your desired size.
- Add all of the ingredients into the chickpea bowl and mix it all up thoroughly.
- Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon and additional salt if desired.
If you’re looking for additional healthy, easy lunch ideas, try these!
Or, in need of some super healthy HOMEMADE salad dressing recipes?